MY EVERYDAY AFFORDABLE SKINCARE ROUTINE

Friday, May 05, 2017



TAKE TWO - I lost my blog post so had to rewrite :(
Long time no see! I apologise for the inconsistent posts, it's exam season and I haven't managed to find an opportunity to sit down and write! As you can probably guess by the title of this post, this is my current skin routine which I carry out every day (even when I'm feeling lazy).

To begin with, let me tell you about my skin's history and type. During my teenage years, I suffered from cystic acne. Cystic acne is a skin condition where pores in the deep layers of your skin get clogged, hence creating red, large and pus-filled breakouts. It is painful and self-esteem can be a myth during these times. I no longer suffer from this kind of acne, apart from the occasional hormonal breakouts during my period or drastic seasonal changes. My skin used to be oily, irritated and an absolute nightmare to deal with. Doctor's had prescribed me medication which severely harmed my skin such as benzoyl peroxide and antibiotics. Benzoyl peroxide is an oxidising agent which forces oxygen into the skin, killing anaerobic bacteria and creating hostile conditions for any 'good' bacteria too. It causes itchiness, redness, flakiness and severe dehydration of the skin. Antibiotics may eliminate problems for your skin but can create problems elsewhere by killing the 'good' bacteria again. I currently have dry to combination skin with very little acne (ALMOST non-existent) and I owe most of my gratitude to an acne-controlling birth control called Dianette. I have been recently switched over to Yasmin as Dianette is known to increase blood clots. Obviously, if you're male then this is not ideal for you, but my skin routine has worked wonders for me and I cannot be thankful enough as it has played a massive part in the recovery of my skin!

I would only recommend these products if you have a similar skin type to mine. I'm not a dermatologist or trained to give professional advice so I cannot advise you personally but I hope that this gives you an idea go how to take care of your skin. I have not been sponsored and and am not affiliated with any of the brands mentioned, all opinion are of my own. I'm a strong believer that your diet really does affect your skin but I am also confident in saying that there are other factors which can affect your skin such as hormones, weather and free radicals in the atmosphere. I am aware that we have differences in skin type, allergies, and sensitivities but if you are willing to purchase and try any of the products mentioned, I would highly recommend them! The following routine is carried out every day,  twice a day as I believe in keeping my face fresh and clean of impurities; the only difference made between the morning and night is the use of coconut oil (I will explain down below!)

Sister & Co. Coconut Oil
£6.95 for 60ml from Beauty Bay





At the end of the day, I start off my routine with this bad boy. I am absolutely obsessed with this coconut oil! I have tried quite a few, and by far, this one beats them all. As I mentioned in my introduction, I am not a fan of chemically based products as I find them way too harsh on my skin. This coconut oil is 100% organic, raw, gluten and lactose-free, paraben free, additive free, bleach free, pasteurisation free and it's also vegan! I'm so in favour of organic products so this is a win-win situation for me! I start off by scooping out a pea sized amount with my index finger (the oil is solid) and warm the product up with my fingers (careful not to play with it too much, it'll melt completely very quickly!). I'll rub this all over my face with circular motions and it dissolves every speck of makeup. I find this much more satisfying and hydrating than a regular makeup wipe or remover as I feel as if I'm not stripping my skin of natural oils. Be careful not to leave it on for too long, or use it as a moisturiser as it's a comedogenic and it'll block your pores - causing breakouts. But if used correctly, it's a miracle product!

The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash
£6.00 for 250ml from The Body Shop




I usually jump in the shower after applying the coconut oil and apply this face wash. Or if I haven't had any makeup on prior to my shower, I'd put this onto my bare skin. I have been using this face wash for the past few years and I cannot get enough of it! It's gentle enough for everyday use yet strong enough to remove all those impurities from your skin. It leaves a cool and refreshing feel on your skin, waking it up almost. I use it twice a day once in the morning and once at night to prevent breakouts. Tea tree oil is an antibacterial and antifungal therefore perfect for getting rid of those spots! I wouldn't recommend using this if you have open wounds or spots on your face, as it'll sting. Also, do not over cleanse with this product as it'll dry your skin out! Drying your skin out just gives your glands and excuse to secrete more oil than normal, hence making your face even greasier than usual! The Body Shop are also as cruelty-free and vegetarian!

The Body Shop Skin Clearing Facial Mask
£11.00 for 100ml from The Body Shop





This is not an every day product, but one for those where your skin could use the extra TLC! This face mask is thick and perfect for removing impurities. It smells fresh and also leaves your skin feeling and looking fresh! It is slightly pricier than the other products I have mentioned but I think it's an absolute bargain. If you use this once a week, it'll last you roughly 4/5 months as you only need the slightest amount! I prefer to use this and feel it works best straight after steaming my face or coming out the shower as my pores are open and ready to be cleaned. The Body Shop often offers a 3 for 2 promotion where you can grab these products for even cheaper! The packaging states to leave it on for around 12 minutes but I prefer to leave it on until it's completely dry so I am certain that all impurities have been removed, absolutely love it.

Oh K! Cleansing Pad Duo Pack
£5.00 for a 2 pack from Beauty Bay





These have changed my life. The tiny silicon bristles gently exfoliate your skin and are gentle enough for daily usage. It's a much cheaper, much easier and manual version of a clarisonic for 5% of the price! I usually squeeze a pea sized amount of face wash onto my pad, and move the pad in circular motions all over my face - avoiding my eyes area. It smoothens my skin's texture and removes all dead skin cells, improving your complexion! It has a handle which can be suctioned onto the wall - handy for having it in the bathroom! I use this twice a day and my skin has been feeling so fresh and clean I just can't get enough of it! It just gives me that extra glow we all love!

Dr. Organic Vitamin E Moisturiser
£7.99 for 50ml from Holland and Barrett





This is my every day moisturiser, I have do not have a vacancy for a new one and nor will I ever replace this baby. I have been using this for over 2 years now and can I just say that my skin is smoother than a baby's bum. It is organic (you know how I love my organic products) and SUPER hydrating - which is exactly what you need after all that face washing and stripping of oils. It is water-based and full of natural ingredients: vitamin E, aloe vera leaf juice, rice bran oil, lemon peel oil, lemongrass leaf oil, elemi leaf extract, rooibos lead extract, Indian gooseberry extract, sea buckthorn extract and witchhazel leaf extract. A lot of those ingredients are soothing and replenishing. Vitamin E is the primary ingredient, and is used for hydration of the skin deep in the epidermis. Aloe Vera is used for the soothing of skin, and reducing redness. Many of these ingredients are used for the renewal of skin, therefore this cream is perfect for the healing of acne scarring. I personally suffer from acne scarring which can reduce your self esteem, and this cream has aided in diminishing those scars fast and effectively. It is the perfect cream if you do not want to apply an oil e.g. BioOil onto your face to remove scars. I honestly give this product a straight 11/10.

Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water
£3.33 for 400ml from Boots





Ever come out the shower with panda eyes? Guilty. I hate using makeup wipes on my eyes as I find the wipes abrasive, therefore applying some of this water onto a cotton pad and wiping away is perfect. I often have lash glue or mascara stuck to my lashes or running around my eyes and I find this water perfect for gently removing any left over makeup. I would still recommend using the coconut oil all over your face prior to washing your face/showering but only use this if theres still residue left over afterwards! It is an aboslute BARGAIN which is always a plus! It is designed for combination and sensitivie skin which is exactly what I have, and it works like magic as it is non-drying and fragrance free.

That brings me to the end of my skin routine, I hope this was a helpful post as I have had quite a few requests for it. As I mentioned before, I am not a professional dermatoligist or expertly trained to give advice and I am not affiliated with any of the brands mentioned - all opinions are of my own. Thank you for reading!

Love Shelly x













You Might Also Like

0 comments