MAC Warm Neutrals Palette: YAY or NAY?

Thursday, February 16, 2017



I'd be one of the first to tell you that I've never really been much of a fan of MAC products. I've never  really invested into their eyeshadow products or palettes so I thought I'd switch it up a little. MAC palettes aren't exactly budget friendly, as this one I picked up had a hefty price of £65. I mean compared to the Urban Decay palettes and the Balm Cosmetic palettes etc, it's WAY out there. On the upside, I believe it has gone down to £49.50 (available on the MAC website).

The packaging is in a standard MAC-ish case. It's black plastic with the patent pan to hold the shadows and matte outer casing. I don't really have a problem with the packaging, it's sweet and simple.

Anyway, the colours this palette offers knocked me off my feet. I'm not one to wear bright and intense shades on my eyes, especially because I can never find a way to incorporate them into my makeup and I can't pull them off. They range from beautifully light and mellow yellow tones, to amber and brown shades. They've even added a few pink/champagne type of shades so they're a wonder for someone who likes neutral colours like myself!

There's a fair mixture of mattes and metallics which is a bonus as the mattes are perfect for the transition colours or crease colours, whereas the metallics can create a charismatic foil over the eyelid.
The palette boasts 15 different shades, all in a 1.3g pan. The shades all have a buttery consistency which is a dream to blend. I never usually need to apply Fix+ to my brush as the product just sticks to the brush! There is very little fallout when applying which is a bonus as I do my eye makeup after my base.
The pigmentation of the shades is amazing however when blending them out, the colour does fade a little so I was a little disappointed with that. However after around two applications, the colour pay off is amazing! My personal favourite shade, amber lights, glistens exquisitely and the pigment of this shade in particular is unbelievable.


(Amber Lights on the left, Saddle on the right)

A little close up of the shades:


Now time for the swatches!


A little terminology first to familiarise yourself with the finishes:
VXP - Veluxe Pearl, S - Satin, F - Frost, V - Velvet, M - Matte, L - Lustre

From top to bottom:

  • Hey (VXP) - A metallic, pearlescent, champagne-y kind of shade
  • Warm Breeze (S) - A light pink, pastel pink
  • Gingersnap (F) - A metallic rose shade
  • Dark Brew (V) - A deep red with pearlescent bits of pink
  • Dance In The Dark (M) - A dark matte brown
  • Brule (S) - A soft creamy beige
  • Vanilla Extract (F) - A metallic mellow yellow shade
  • Honey Lust (L) - A champagne toned peach with brown undertones
  • Amber Lights (F) - A beautiful amber with peach undertones
  • Saddle (M) - A medium brown matte shade
  • Lemon Tart (VXP) - A metallic bright gold 
  • Creative Copper (L) - A darker metallic gold 
  • Butterfudge (S) - A light brown with golden pearlescent shimmers
  • Divine Decadence (V) - A soft bronze with shimmer
  • Unwind (VXP) - A light khaki, olive shade 
So, is it worth it or not?
Personally, I love this palette but I think it is not worth the money I paid for it. I can get a palette of  equivalent quality with a less hefty price tag. The shades are gorgeous and the longevity of the shades amazes me. I only prime my eyes with a little primer potion but I'm not sure if this makes a significant different to the lasting time. My advice would be, if you can afford to spend £49.50 on a palette then go for it! But there are dupes out there for these shades, the only difference is the branding. The shadows don't crease and the formula is well perfected, so on a scale from 1-10, I'd give the palette an 8.

Love Shelly x

You Might Also Like

0 comments