The Beauty Edit

Monday, September 26, 2016


Guess who did a beauty splurge? Well, in all honesty, some of these products were repurchases but some of them are new to me. While I'm writing about my new goodies, I shall write a little review of them too!

1. Nivea Post Shave Balm


I picked this bad boy up for the first time last week! One word: amazing. This little beauty will prolong the wear of your makeup by hours. I tested it the other day and it lasted for the entire day (from around 1pm to 11pm). It's so affordable (I paid £2 something at Superdrug - there was a half price offer) and you get more than 3 times the product than your bog standard primer. My usual primer is the Urban Decay Complexion Perfecting primer (£19 I believe for 30ml). As a student, it's important that I watch where I spend my money so I shall definitely be repurchasing this over the Urban Decay. The only downside is the man-like smell but you tend to stop noticing it throughout the day, I guess it's a matter of just ignoring it. I expected it to be a thicker consistency due to the name "balm" but I'm glad it's thin as it's easy to apply and feels lightweight on the skin.

2. Garnier Micellar Water


This was a repurchase for me. I have been using this for over a year now and I would never pick up or purchase another makeup remover. It removes every trace of makeup (Even waterproof) and it doesn't dry my skin out. Since my skin type is combination and acne-prone, it doesn't induce any more breakouts as it's so gentle. It's fragrant free and so affordable! I picked this huge 700ml bottle up for less than £5 from either Asda or Tesco and it's honestly my go-to every night. All you have to do is pour it onto a cotton ball or pad and swipe it over your face. Highly recommend this!

3. Dr Organic Vitamin E Moisturiser



I have been using this cream for the past couple of years and it is my holy grail face cream. As it's organic and has vitamin E in it, it does wonders to my skin. I suffered from acne and I have a few acne scars, and this scream has helped those scars slowly but surely fade. I still have a few but I assume within a year or so they'll be gone. This jar lasts for a few months, and retails at £7.99 from Holland and Barrett but they often have buy one get one half price promotions which works out much cheaper. I definitely recommend as it's very moisturising but it isn't greasy. It has a light formulation and a little bit goes a long way. The jar is also made of glass (which I personally think is a fab aesthetic touch for the price you pay!)

4. ABH Tinted Brow Gel



Ok this is a new purchase for me. I was browsing on Cult Beauty and came across this bad boy. I was in need of a good brow gel, so I decided to pick this up. Retailing at £16.50, it's definitely a high end brow gel but I wanted to see if it lived up to the ABH standard. Firstly, I picked up the shade "Brunette" assuming it'll match my hair tone, but it came out to be slightly red and very light. I was so disappointed but I managed to conceal the reddish colour with my ABH Dip Brow Pomade (Ebony). I was happy with the outcome of the brows and my hairs definitely stayed in place. Next time, if I do decide to repurchase this, I will definitely go for the next shade up (Granite) but overall I was impressed with the longevity.

5. Carmex


For those who haven't heard of Carmex before, it's an ultra moisturising lip balm - your best friend during the colder months when your lips are drier and prone to cracking. This was a repurchase, and I thought I'd add this one in since it seems fit! I purchased the cherry flavour and I love the cooling effect it leaves on your lips.

6. Loreal True Match Lumi Primer/Illuminator





This illuminator gives me life. I usually mix my primer and illuminator together and use them as a base before I apply my foundation. Lord, this gives me that dewy glow that we all want. I feel like I've descended from heaven whenever I use this combination as it gives your foundation that subtle, healthy glow and the use of powder doesn't mattify it. It retails at around $13, I'm not sure if this is available in the UK yet but if and when it does launch, you NEED to buy this. I bought the shade Ice Glace as the shade I wanted was out of stock, but when I do repurchase I'll buy Golden which would look much better on my skin tone.

7. Momo Eyelashes



When I need eyelashes, I prefer not to buy lashes with a hefty price tag. I purchase my own glue (either the DUO or Ardell lash glue) and use these to apply my lashes. I often turn to ebay to buy lashes as it works out cheaper and they're of extremely good quality (careful - make sure you buy them from a trusted seller). I buy Ardells for around £2.90 per pair which is half the RRP of around £6. These Momo lashes were sold by a UK seller, so there was free P+P (a plus!!) and I paid £1.80 for 5 pairs. Try telling me that this was a waste of money.

Thanks for reading guys and keep updated for new posts!

Love Shelly x

You Might Also Like

0 comments