gingerbread angels

Monday, September 12, 2016






I know we still have months remaining until my favourite festivity, Christmas, but I couldn't wait to bake these gingerbread angels! I am also aware that I baked these on a pizza tray, it's because my batch was so big that I couldn't fit them all onto a single tray.

To prepare you for the upcoming months, I have decided to share with you my recipe to beautifully soft and golden gingerbread - you don't have to use angel cookie cutters (especially at this time of the year)

Ingredients:
  • 175g dark Muscavado sugar
  • 85g golden syrup
  • 100g softened butter
  • 1 large beaten egg
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon of ground ginger
  • 350g plain flour (and a couple grams extra to dust the surface)
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
  • tube of white decorating icing (or any other colour you'd like to use)

Method:

  1. Add the Muscavado sugar, golden syrup and butter into a large saucepan and heat for a couple of minutes,on medium heat, until it forms a dark liquid. Make sure you keep stirring the mixture else it'll stick to the bottom and burn.
  2. Once you have a liquid consistency, turn the hob off and let it cool for around 10 minutes. In this time, add the cinnamon; ginger; flour and bicarbonate soda into a mixing bowl and mix. Add the beaten egg and the liquid mixture of sugar, syrup and butter.
  3. Knead the mixture into a sticky dough, and then wrap the dough into a piece of cling film. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, and then take the dough to soften for 10/15 minutes.
  4. Preheat the oven to around 200 degrees celsius (fan assisted ovens) and grease the baking tray/s or cut out some baking paper to line the trays with.
  5. Dust the surface with the extra flour and remove the cling film from dough. Roll it out ensuring none of the dough is sticking to the rolling pin (If it is, add more flour to the dough). Allow the dough to be around 0.4cm thick before using a cookie cutter. 
  6. Bake for 9-10 minutes, or until they're golden brown.
  7. Once they have completely cooled, pipe them with your tube of icing with your desired decoration.
Voila! You have your homemade gingerbread angels/men/biscuits! 
I usually bake a sticky gingerbread cake with cream cheese and stick my gingerbread angels around the cake as a Christmas dinner centrepiece - but I shall upload a post with this recipe as we get closer to Christmas. 

I hope your gingerbread come out as lovely as mine did!
Love Shelly x


You Might Also Like

0 comments